For more than 50 years, the industry has depended on Gilsonite® as a lost circulation material and a critical component for primary cementing operations in some of the world’s toughest drilling environments.
Adding Gilsonite during cementing operations enhances the characteristics that are critical to effectively cementing the casing, isolating hydrocarbon formations and preventing annular gas flow.
With its unique physical and chemical properties, Gilsonite provides a range of important benefits in slurry and set cement that are unmatched by any other single additive.
Cement slurry benefits
- Increases yield
- Reduces slurry weight
- Controls free water
- Lowers slurry water ratio
- Promotes favorable rheologies resulting in lower ECDs
- Prevents lost circulation
- Scours wellbore/enhances mud removal
Set cement benefits
- Maintains compressive strength, unlike coal or fly ash
- Increases flexibility
- Reduces cracking
- Heals microfissures
- Reduces permeability
- Strengthens bond to the formation and the casing
- Reduces environmental risk
- Assures zonal isolation
Gilsonite eliminates the problems of free water
By controlling free water, Gilsonite helps stabilize slurry and eliminates the need for – and cost of – additional free-water-control agents. As a lost circulation material, it also improves zonal isolation by preventing water channeling on the upper side of the wellbore.